[arch-ports] Solution for 32bit/multilib-problem

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Oct 8 08:34:58 EDT 2006

Hi all,

some days ago I had to reinstall my Arch, so I decieded to give arch64 a try.
It`s working great and I think this will be the future of Arch.

But what I really missed is the ability to run 32bit-apps. I do not understand
why the devs do not want this. But as I did not want to discuss about this, I
just created some packages which allows me to start 32bit-apps within Arch64
(not using chroot etc.)

To make things very easy I did not set up a crosscompiler etc.. Instead I used
the packages from arch32. All libs are installed to /opt/lib32, so it wont
mess up your installation.

I set up a repository for testing:

[pierre]
Server = http://www.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/x86_64

I got the following apps running:
* Doom3 (this requires:  lib32-glibc, lib32-libx11, lib32-libxau,
lib32-libxdmcp, lib32-libxext, lib32-nvidia-utils, lib32-alsa-lib)
* Enemy-Territory
* Unreal Tournament
* Google Earth
* Opera (I only put it into the repository for demonstrating how it works)

What do you think about this?

--
http://www.archlinux.de