[arch-ports] [ppc]no sound after kernel upgrade

Markus Wolf n4rc0s at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:31:37 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

  About a couple of weeks ago, after a kernel upgrade (everything
smooth as usual) the sound card of my 12" iBook stopped working. This
sort of things happens sometimes, eheh everybody makes mistakes right?
So I thought the issue would be resolved gracefully (i.e. with no
complaints at all) within a few days with a new upgrade. But after two
more upgrades, as of kernel 2.6.22  I can still hear no sound at
all... I think the soundcard works, because I can hear the apple chord
when I turn the machine on. alsaconf seems to recognize it properly
but alsamixer tells me "No mixer elems found" and my /etc/asound.state
reads like this:

state.SoundByLayout {
        control {
        }
}

somewhat weird, isn't it? Furthermore lspci shows no trace of an audio
card and dmesg informs me that module snd-powermac is no longer the
right one, and that I should use snd-aoa, of which alsaconf seems to
know nothing about... Nobody in the list has complained about this so
far, either: (a) I do upgrade way too often, (b) something is wrong
with my machine and I don't know what it is (c) both :( Any clues?

Markus Wolf