[arch-ports] updating dynamic address dns

Matthew William Cox matt at mattcox.ca
Mon Jul 16 14:28:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 06:32:01PM +0200, sacarde wrote:
> > Can't exec "sendmail": No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/ddclient line
> > 1344.
> > ddclient: cannot execute command | sendmail -oi root.
>
> I installed postfix, now I have:

> Address: 151.72.111.227</body></html>
> DEBUG:    get_ip: using web, http://checkip.dyndns.org/ reports 151.72.111.227
> Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 1966.
> WARNING:  skipping update of sacarde.homepc.it from <nothing> to
> 151.72.111.227.
> WARNING:   last updated <never> but last attempt on Mon Jul 16 18:25:26 2007
> failed.
> WARNING:   Wait at least 5 minutes between update attempts.
> postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory
>

> I dont understand:
> means of: <nothing>

> and what is: public/pickup
This seems to be a problem in your postfix configuration... you did
configure it, right? At the very least, you'll want to:
edit /etc/postfix/aliases # set alias of root to your username to get
                          # admin mail
postalias /etc/postfix/aliases # hash this table
edit /etc/postfix/main.cf # edit a few things here:
	myhostname # shouldn't need to change this from the default
                   # (unspecified, it uses the value set in /etc/rc.conf
	mydomain   # again, shouldn't need to change this unless you
                   # didn't set it in /etc/rc.conf. If your box isn't a
                   # mail host online, then just ignor ethis entirely..
	myorigin   # you probably want to leave this as the default
                   # $myhostname
	inetinterfaces = localhost # this makes your mail daemon not
                                   # listen on network interfaces for
                                   # new mail
		# if you know why you need it, you can append other
		# things here. Otherwise, stick with those three.
	mynetworks_style = host
		# don't trust remote users, don't relay their mail. This
		# is probably redundant in light of inetinterfaces being
		# set to only bind to localhost, but paranoia is good.

Now, fire up postfix: /etc/rc.d/postfix start

Use sendmail to make sure mail sent to root ends up in your mail spool:
> $ sendmail -t # enter what comes below
> to: root
> from: <youruser>
> subject: testing alias map
>
> Test
> ^D
> $

And check that it ends up in the local mailspool. If you use a gui
client to read email, any decent one should be able to add a local
mailspool. It'll be called "unix mail" or something like that. The spool
is at /var/mail/$user

Now you have mail delivery set up on your local machine.

Now, as for ddclient... it is, in my opinion, crap. Use updatedd. I've
attached a package build. Edit the configuration of your service in
/usr/etc/updatedd-wrapper.conf, and then put updatedd-wrapper in a cron
job. Do, as root:
> # crontab -e
and then insert this line:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/updatedd-wrapper
which runs the updatedd-wrapper script every ten minutes.

Matthew