[arch-ports] ppc/i686 repo comparison CGI script

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Mon May 5 07:44:53 EDT 2008

Anders Bergh wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I wrote up a script to compare the i686 and ppc repos. Mirrors used
> are ftp.gigabit.nu and ftp.archlinuxppc.org. It's just a prototype,
> I'll make it cleaner and perhaps add some kind of javascript junk to
> it (sort columns, etc).
>
> http://andersman.org/ppc/compare.cgi
>
> Anders

That's pretty cool and helps a lot. Is it dynamically generated by
analyzing the db.tar.gz on the mentioned ftp archives? If so, it's
pretty nifty and fast. :)

One thing I'd like to point out though:
There's quite a few packages that the ppc port lacks in extra
especially. We are aware of this and would like to change it but right
now have no definite plans of when to achieve this. We're simply not
enough developers to reliably maintain such an amount of packages. So we
stick with what we have an maintain it well for now.

The upside of this is that most of the basic packages are there, so
pulling a PKGBUILD from x86 to build it on ppc shouldn't never be a big
hassle.

Cheers,

Alex