[arch-ports] [i686] Next steps

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Wed Feb 1 13:58:12 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I'd propose the following steps - open for discussion and as you might
notice more vague towards the end:

preparations:
- choose a name (my suggestion: archlinux32)
- set up / use some git hosting (e.g. github) for maintenance of
build-system, website, package-source-trees (there are two from
archlinux.org: svntogit/community.git and svntogit/packages.git?),
possibly our own packages (e.g. archlinux32-keyring?)
- clone, understand and modify archlinuxarm's plugbuild (does this have
some sort of documentation? - sry, I'm quite new to perl)

testing:
- set up build-clients (do they need to run i486/i586/i686 or can we
cross compile from x86_64?)
- compile, install, test packages
- keep this up in parallel to official archlinux.org's i686 (so we have
a sane benchmark and/or fallback)

production:
- hopefully change nothing but references in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist on
production systems ;-)

As Bartłomiej pointed out, it would be nice to have i486 and i586
supported, too (*yay*, I finally can run arch on my router!). This
shouldn't be a big deal if we really use archlinuxarm's plugbuild - they
support compiling for multiple different architectures anyway.

One thing I have no clue of, is how the isos are created. But probably
it's straight forward if we have some system running on archlinux32 and
installed "archiso".

regards,
Erich