[arch-ports] [i686] Next steps

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Wed Feb 1 23:01:46 UTC 2017

Hi list,

On 01.02.2017 23:02, Félix Faisant wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Le 1 févr. 2017 à 22:18, Erich Eckner <arch at eckner.net> a écrit :
>
>> we took a step forward and now we have:
>> - a name: archlinux32
>> - a domain: archlinux32.org
>> - a collaboration on github.com: https://github.com/archlinux32
>
> How were they chosen, and by who ? Did I miss something ?
> I've nothing against though.

I didn't want to be bold, but I just took initiative. Nothing of this
has to be final.

>> If you feel, you have anything[1] to contribute, please send me an email
>> with your account name on github.com and I'll invite you to the
>> organization,
>
> I'd like very much to participate as a maintainer, tester and infrastructure
> provider (if needed) as I have various i686 machines running arch, but I
> don't have any github account, and I'm not particularly thrilled about
> creating one for that.
>
> Wouldn't be more appropriate to setup a git and to keep an infrastructure
> closer to Arch dev's one ?

archlinuxarm is maintained via github - this gave the idea. However,
from a personal point I can understand the hesitation to create a github
account. :-)
In the end, one could think of cgit on our own server totally
disconnected from github, but then we'd probably reinvent the wheel for
tickets, discussions, and the like.
Our case is closer to archlinuxarm than archlinux, so it seems to make
more sense to copy from them.

>> so we can brainstorm and sort out details.
>
> Isn't it the very purpose of this list to brainstorm and sort out details ?

true, but how detailed should the discussion herein become? Once we have
a platform for git, tracking issues and discussing code lines, shouldn't
we switch to that one? I thought, github would be a good platform for
that - at least to start with. Or with other words: City-busz just put a
proposal for a build-system on:
https://github.com/archlinux32/builder/wiki/Build-system
(it's readable for anyone, I hope)

> My 2 cents…

They're welcome.

> ----
> Félix Faisant - PGP : ce67 00ae c4c3 2446 032c f89a 4e4f a7af f464 8355

regards,
Erich