[arch-ports] [i686] Next steps

Polichronucci nick at discloud.eu
Thu Feb 2 11:52:34 UTC 2017

Hello list,

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 12:51:35AM +0100, Félix Faisant wrote:
> Hi list,

I thought of the same name so obviously I agree on that.

> >> How were they chosen, and by who ? Did I miss something ?
> >> I've nothing against though.
> >
> > I didn't want to be bold, but I just took initiative. Nothing of this
> > has to be final.
>
> Of course. Maybe we could just wait a day or two for interested people
> to give their opinion before going further.

Giving people some time is essential in opinion for a community project
to function. But again its nice to see people take initiative.

> >> Wouldn't be more appropriate to setup a git and to keep an infrastructure
> >> closer to Arch dev's one ?
> >
> > In the end, one could think of cgit on our own server totally
> > disconnected from github, but then we'd probably reinvent the wheel for
> > tickets, discussions, and the like.
>
> Well, it's quite easy to setup and would not be difficult to maintain.
> I think it's more a question of efficiency. And indeed github could be
> appropriate for such low volume of work. But I don't use github
> so I can't tell.

I have no problem at all for using GitHub. We could also set up a
private GitLab somewhere. Since the GitHub organisation is already setup
I would go with that.

> > Our case is closer to archlinuxarm than archlinux, so it seems to make
> > more sense to copy from them.
>
> Even if the vast majority of PKGBUILDs and tool would be kept synced with
> Arch's ones ? Again, I didn't look close enough to archlinuxarm to tell...

ArchLinuxARM is a good place to get ideas on how to get this project
going, but the PKGBUILDs and the tools as already mentioned above will
be close to the Arch way.

> >> Isn't it the very purpose of this list to brainstorm and sort out details ?
> >
> > true, but how detailed should the discussion herein become? Once we have
> > a platform for git, tracking issues and discussing code lines, shouldn't
> > we switch to that one? I thought, github would be a good platform for
> > that - at least to start with.
>
> I think it's appropriated for per-package discussions or anything like that,
> but for the moment, it's more a general/technical discussion rather than
> a detailed one.

I agree. We should mainly use the list so everybody can follow. IRC is
good as well but no archive, so its better for problem solving that
actual planning.

nick at discloud.eu
GPG: 0x7E8A06A6C80574E4