[arch-ports] Phasing out i686 support

David Daniel david.daniel at pixy.ch
Thu Jun 8 09:28:19 UTC 2017

Hi everybody

I just read (maybe a bit late, it is from january...) the news about
phasing out i686 support
(https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/).

Since this news item was not posted on the 1st of april I guess this is
not a joke - just to make sure: Is this really true, there won't be a
32-bit Arch Linux from November 2017? I ask this because we recently
(okay, about 2-3 years ago) switched to Arch Linux for our devices,
those devices run on 32-bit only and they will exist for at least the
next seven years. We are in the railway industry, things don't change
monthly.

This fact puts us in trouble. I see that manufacturers don't produce
much 32-bit hardware any more (there still is though!) but there is
still a lot of 32-bit hardware around that still runs and is meant to
run for quite some time.

I think it's bad to discontinue 32-bit systems when still corresponding
hardware is in use, this would support the same waste that other
manufacturers push (e.g. XYZ that doesn't support its mobile phone one
year after releasing it).

Am I the only one who thinks that way?

Thanks for your clarification, arguments, thoughts, ideas!

Best Regards
Dave