[arch-ports] {i686, pentium4}/core: linux-lts &

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Mon Aug 26 08:29:20 UTC 2019

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019, Andreas Baumann wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 05:43:40PM +0200, Markus Schaaf wrote:
>> Since this seems to be a recurring theme lately, I'm asking straightly:
>> Is someone over-worked? Is there any help needed? Also borg for pentium4
>> is lagging behind. What's the problem?
>
> Borg had a relative simple problem in 'check()' it was using
> $CARCH directly for results of testing (which go into i686 for
> pentium4).
>
> Cheers
>
> Andreas
>

>> Regards

Hi Markus, hi list,

let me answer the questions left open by Andreas:

Yes, there is (currently) always help needed (as you can see, the fix is
sometimes pretty trivial). We're not really overworked, but there is also
not much head room ;-)
You can head over to the irc channel (#archlinux32 on freenode) to get in
touch or register to git.archlinux32.org or bugs.archlinux32.org and open
pull requests / bug reports directly there (the bug tracker needs manual
approval from one of us to get you started - and it seems to be
temporarily down, currently).

Regarding the already-answered questions, I can give some more details to
Andreas' (correct answers):

lagging of package versions: Other, more important packages eat up our
time. And since we don't have a one-maintainer-per-package segmentation,
other packages can (and will) fall behind.

breaking dependencies: Due to the low number of devs, almost everything is
automatized. This should not break dependencies when moving stuff around
(but sometimes it does, because there are bugs in the logic, which we then
fix). But more importantly, as Andreas pointed out, this assumes a
perfectly stable distribution (e.g. no package ever gets broken by
upgrading a library it depends on, but not upgrading the package itself) -
which is nice, but unfortunately not true (some packages fail to
recompile, so we cannot link them against the new library). Thus, we
sometimes have to do things manually which *must* ignore these
dependencies and thus can break stuff.

regards,
Erich