[arch-proaudio] Solfege Completely Unusable

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Thu May 17 10:11:19 UTC 2018

Hi!

On 2018-05-17 05:28:49 (-0400), Grady Martin wrote:
> Does anyone have the solfege ear-training package up and running (and
> actually producing sound)?  I've noticed a few issues that I'd like to
> confirm before filing a bug report.  Missing optional dependencies are
> the easy ones
> <https://nosuckdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/solfege-csound-mma-lilypond.png>:
>
> · csound https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/csound/
This just recently became available (because I moved it to community).
Thanks for mentioning! I can add it to optdepends soonish.
Should become available once you install csound then.

> · mma https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mma/
This I could probably move to [community], although I really don't like
moving python2 only stuff.

> · lilypond https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/lilypond/
That is already in optdepends and if installed, /usr/bin/lilypond-book
is available.

> Then, there's the bigger issue of pyalsa
> <https://nosuckdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/solfege-pyalsa.png>,
> which is required for ALSA playback (and apparently completely
> different from the AUR's python2-pyalsaaudio and python-pyalsaaudio
> packages).  The solfege package includes a Python script, however, for
> downloading and setting up pyalsa.  Perhaps this script should be
> mentioned by pacman, when solfege is installed?
Hmm, this should probably be python2-pyalsa though (which is not
packaged).
Could you check, whether `pip2 install --user pyalsa` fixes this for
you?
This might just be another hidden depends, that is just not very clear,
as upstream doesn't use setuptools.

> > ■ python2 /usr/share/solfege/solfege/download_pyalsa.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/share/solfege/solfege/download_pyalsa.py", line 25, in <module>
> >     import solfege
> > ImportError: No module named solfege
>
> ... That is, once the script stops failing miserably.  I will be
> reporting this issue upstream, if nobody tells me I'm missing
> something obvious.
Please do so and tell them to also finally release a new version. The
current "stable" is super ancient. ;-)
However, I never got a reply on that request from the maintainer.

I guess the newer versions of solfege might mitigate these issues or
might even be python3...

Best,
David

--