[arch-proaudio] Solfege Completely Unusable
dave at sleepmap.de
Thu May 17 10:11:19 UTC 2018
On 2018-05-17 05:28:49 (-0400), Grady Martin wrote:
> Does anyone have the solfege ear-training package up and running (and
> actually producing sound)? I've noticed a few issues that I'd like to
> confirm before filing a bug report. Missing optional dependencies are
> the easy ones
> · csound https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/csound/
This just recently became available (because I moved it to community).
Thanks for mentioning! I can add it to optdepends soonish.
Should become available once you install csound then.
> · mma https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mma/
This I could probably move to [community], although I really don't like
moving python2 only stuff.
> · lilypond https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/lilypond/
That is already in optdepends and if installed, /usr/bin/lilypond-book
> Then, there's the bigger issue of pyalsa
> which is required for ALSA playback (and apparently completely
> different from the AUR's python2-pyalsaaudio and python-pyalsaaudio
> packages). The solfege package includes a Python script, however, for
> downloading and setting up pyalsa. Perhaps this script should be
> mentioned by pacman, when solfege is installed?
Hmm, this should probably be python2-pyalsa though (which is not
Could you check, whether `pip2 install --user pyalsa` fixes this for
This might just be another hidden depends, that is just not very clear,
as upstream doesn't use setuptools.
> > ■ python2 /usr/share/solfege/solfege/download_pyalsa.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/usr/share/solfege/solfege/download_pyalsa.py", line 25, in <module>
> > import solfege
> > ImportError: No module named solfege
> ... That is, once the script stops failing miserably. I will be
> reporting this issue upstream, if nobody tells me I'm missing
> something obvious.
Please do so and tell them to also finally release a new version. The
current "stable" is super ancient. ;-)
However, I never got a reply on that request from the maintainer.
I guess the newer versions of solfege might mitigate these issues or
might even be python3...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the arch-proaudio