[arch-proaudio] New additions since some time this year

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Tue Nov 20 14:29:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-20 14:02:15 (+0100), Albert Graef wrote:
> again many thanks for undertaking this effort which benefits all Arch
> users!
I'm happy to do some improvements and make things a little easier to
actually use!

> We've since integrated this into purr-data, but in any case it would be
> nice to have it with vanilla Pd as well. (The version available in Pd's
> package manager Deken is rather old and doesn't work with Lua 5.3.) My
> PKGBUILD is in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pd-lua/
Okay, I'll have a look. What is it used for specifically, tho? Is there
the possibility to make it compatible with newer lua versions upstream
to have it integrated as a working external depending on LUA version?
If they pre-build all things, they could pre-build this as well!

Besides: How stable is the purring data by now? :)

> Also, I recently noticed that Gem (Pd's graphics environment,
> https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem) seems to have disappeared. We should
> really dig out the old PKGBUILD and make it available again. Gem is
> rather important, one of Pd's flagship extensions, and it's used by
> many media artists doing graphics and video stuff with Pd. It's a big
> package, has lots of dependencies and takes a while to build, so it
> would be nice to have it in the official repositories. I can help with
> that if needed.
I agree on the importance, but:
no releases have been made in the last 7(!) years [1]. That's pretty
bizarre given the fact, that since then there have been over 2200(!)
commits [2] to the codebase!
I wouldn't want to build 0.93.3 and would only even consider packaging
this, if proper releases are being made again.

If you're up for debating with upstream about that, please feel free to
do so! I'm already spending enough time on other people's bug trackers
as is ;-)

Apart from that, we don't really have a naming scheme for pd externals.
Maybe just pd-gem then?
Searching my aur-requests backlog, there haven't been any repos for gem
in the AUR (and certainly not in [community]) for this since early 2016.
Has there ever been a PKGBUILD for it?

Best,
David

[1] https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/releases