[arch-proaudio] Which compiler is used to build the csound package

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Jun 8 08:47:26 UTC 2019

Hi Jeanette,

On 2019-06-07 19:04:41 (+0200), Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> David, could you tell me which compiler is used to build the Csound
> package?  - Is there perhaps a systematic way to find such
> information? So far, I haven't discovered any, but I'm not too
> familiar with the Arch package system.
To answer your question for csound 6.12.2-7 specifically: gcc 8.3.0

Usually, many of the packages are built using gcc. Some (e.g. faust)
require llvm though.

As gcc is in the base-devel package group, which is implied for building
packages, it's usually not listed explicitely in makedepends [1]. If one
needs llvm (i.e. clang) for building a package, it has to be added to
makedepends, as it is not in base-devel (don't ask me why ;-) ).

That being said, looking at csound [2], I realize there's llvm still in
makedepends, but it's actually not required for building! IIRC it was
added for testing purposes, but just not removed.

Best,
David

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#makedepends
[2] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/csound