[arch-proaudio] Jami: is JACK implemented?

Oliver Friedrich olifriedrich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:03:27 UTC 2021

Hi riveravaldez,

I'm not sure either if this belongs to this list, but since it's been
quite calm in recent times, I try to provide a complet e answer.

Am 11.02.21 um 10:43 schrieb riveravaldez via arch-proaudio:
> Hi, sorry if this is not the place to ask.
>
> I've been trying Jami for video-calls between a couple of laptops with
> Arch and Debian Testing.
> I've seen that in Arch one can choose JACK as audio server, which is *awesome*.
> But when tried to connect its ports (in the 'Connections' window of
> qjackctl) I'd found myself unable to. Is this how it's supposed to be
> working right now?
No, it's not. Pulseaudio is supposed to be for desktop usage and JACK is
for low-latency audio, mainly used in multimedia production and studios.
> I mean: is JACK implemented/usable, at what extent?
Sure, it's completely usable, but the application has to support it! [1]
> Or what should I do to use Jami over JACK instead of PulseAudio?,
> without PA-bridge, just simple plain JACK.

Jami doesn't seem to support JACK, so you won't be able to use it with
"plain" JACK

As a workaround, you may have a look at pipewire, which is able to
combine Pulseaudio and JACK with low latencies [2]

> Thanks a lot in advance for any info. Best regards!

You're always welcome

Best regards

Oliver

[1] https://jackaudio.org/applications/