[arch-projects] VR Gear in Linux

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:12:51 EST 2005

I'm starting to take an interest in virtual reality gear -- head
mounted displays, head trackers, data gloves, etc.  More specifically,
I'm thinking about possible ways you might program for it, especially
in the context of Ensmer.

I've done some cursory research on google, just an hour or so's web
browsing. I've got a vague idea of what is available, based slightly
on third rate Sci-fi novels, and slightly on this research.  The first
thing I found out is I am WAY TOO BROKE to afford any of this stuff
right now. ;-)

I've found the following site to be quite interesting:
http://virtualreality.physiol.ox.ac.uk/  (makes me wish I'd applied at
Oxford). It provides some hints and tips on setting up a PC for use as
a VR machine, but for the most part, it sounds like a PC can barely
handle it. They mention that they use Linux for their PC work. I find
this difficult to understand, since I would assume most VR equipment
requires a weird-ass device driver, and I don't know how many Linux
hackers are reverse engineering this stuff; its not exactly standard
equipment yet. Even the gaem systems don't use it yet. Well actually,
you can connect these head-mounted displays to an X-box if you want...

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with
or knowledge about VR equipment, especially as used under Linux. And
how it can be coded with OpenGL...

Dusty