[arch-projects] Xenophile

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 13:44:00 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:23:09 -0600, Aaron Griffin
<aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://xentac.net/~jchu/blog/technology/jabber/xenophile-intro.html
> >
> > An interesting idea for remote control and communication with daemons
> > via Jabber.
>
> It'd be nice to generalize it so one could use AIM oor Yahoo or
> something like that as well... but that's not the real focus, it looks
> like.  It's a messaging framework, and in a way independant of the
> underlying transport layer...

I'm not certain about the details, but I believe the Xenophile scripts
interact with the jabberd server on the host they are working with, as
well as with the clients. Its a lot harder to set up an AIM or Yahoo
server on your system. ;) I may be wrong, however, the right honorable
Mr. Chu can provide more details.

> I always loved messaging frameworks... I once made a set of utilities
> to communicate between some VAX VMS machines up to one unix machine
> and multiple windows machines... it converted data from VMS flat files
> and inserted it into either oracle or SQL Server...
>
> Now, if you can implement something similar with Xenophile, that would
> be great...

It should be possible, from what I understand. The scripts are really
simple (Xentac, give us a link to the subversion repo again) The part
I find most interesting is getting a fully functional remote shell
inside jabber. I guess it wouldn't be as useful as, say, ssh, but the
coolness factor is pretty high.

Dusty