[arch-projects] Why do we choose the programming languages that we do?

z4ziggy z4ziggy at user-contributions.org
Mon Mar 21 12:58:35 EST 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 19:45, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> This is a weird-ass philosophical post. I'm sick and bored right now
> and my eyes hurt too much to look at the monitor, but I need something
> to do (*watches fingers typing...*).
>
> I was just wondering why programmers choose the languages they
> choose... and why there is so much zealotry in this area. I mean,
> naturally, some languages are better suited to certain applications
> than others. But over all, I think we tend to choose a language more
> for aesthetic value than how useful it is!  And aesthetics all depend
> on the user.
>
> Take scripting languages. For some reason, I haven't been able to get
> the hang of Python. I think its a great language and I can code in it
> (who can't!?), but I don't find it really fun or enjoyable. On the
> other hand, I find coding in Groovy to be a great joy. Perl gives me
> the greatest of headaches, I can't stand scripting in it, I avoid it
> at all costs. I haven't tried Ruby, so I can't compare.
>
> There are numerous other scripting languages. They are all designed
> for more or less the same tasks (arguable, yes). You can code the same
> scripts in Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, Lua, Groovy, etc with
> approximately equal results. Yet if asked to code a particular generic
> problem, each of us would choose a different language!  I guess when
> it comes down to it, it all depends what you *like* to code in.
>
> Its a lot like music. When I was a kid, I played piano for a few
> years. I wasn't very good at it, and I didn't enjoy it all that much.
> Then one day I picked up a guitar and a teach yourself book... I
> enjoyed it. I guess some people are piano people and some people are
> guitar people and some people are clarinet people...
>
> This is the only explanation I can come up with, thoughts? Also, I'd
> really like to have an explanation for the language nazism that goes
> on all the time. I can't understand that one at all. ;-)
>
> Dusty

i guess, just as u described it, its an individual thing. each will find its
own comfortable zone somewhere else... from my experience, i find myself
every few years changing my aspect on this programming language or the other,
always finding new pros/cons for this or that. but i guess its good - its an
ever evolving world, and we should be dynamic, and we should learn new things
daily - which we do. i always imagine programming as playing with Lego. i
loved that when i was a boy, and i think linux is what resembles me the most
of those days - take all those small parts to make a nice tractor or a
palace... same with coding - combine all those bits and pieces together to
make yourself a wonderfull piece of craftsmanship... sometimes u go with the
red bricks, sometimes with the blue, sometimes u mix 'em all  up.

Elia Yehuda
aka z4ziggy