[arch-projects] [AUR] Querying package ID from main repo

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Oct 25 08:00:05 EDT 2007

eliott wrote:
> On 10/24/07, tardo <tardo at nagi-fanboi.net> wrote:
>> I'd really like to be able to pull package ID numbers from the main site
>> DB and put that in the AUR. From what I see, it seems like a simple
>> SELECT statement (prefixed by a db_connect() or select_db() if on the
>> same host). It's pretty trivial, and since handing out dumps of the main
>> repo db just seems to be a no-no, how about someone look through the
>> main site's code and finding that statement and throwing it in?
>
> Are you suggesting we grant the aur access to the primary site
> database so it can pull package data itself?
> I really don't like that idea, and for two reasons.
> 1. It is too tightly coupled. If the aur were ever to move to another
> host, it would fail.
> 2. From a security standpoint, it isn't optimal.

This was actually originally contemplated, and a read-only account
exists for the main db for this purpose, but has never been used.

Not saying that actually makes it a good decision, just mentioning that
it exists.

>> For the record, I don't care about searching for packages on the search
>> page, just being able to pull the ID of the package so I can provide a
>> good link to the dependencies is enough (current method just searches,
>> seems kinda half-assed).
>
> What are you talking about?
> Just getting a link on the aur page for the upstream package depends?

I think I'd rather attack this problem by creating a page on the main
site which lets you get at a package directly by name. It more cleanly
maintains the separation of the systems, and would allow any system like
the AUR to be able to link to a particular package's page on the main site.

But I could see some arguments for other ways, too. Just giving some input.

- P