[arch-projects] [pacman-dev] [ABS] Add --verbose flag to gem in PKGBUILD-rubygem.proto

talki walki lolilolicon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 03:58:07 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM, matt mooney <mfmooney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I think that I might have to disagree with you on the --verbose
> option. While useful to some, I do not believe it is a good default
> option. You lose sight of the bigger picture when using --verbose.

I don't think so. What you consider makes you "lose sight of the bigger
picture" is just a drop in the bucket compared to output of the building
process of many C/C++ programs. Without --verbose, the output is simply:

Successfully installed yajl-ruby-0.8.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for yajl-ruby-0.8.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for yajl-ruby-0.8.2...

... doesn't look too helpful, does it?

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM, matt mooney <mfmooney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, you failed to mention in the subject, or body, that this patch
> sets the binary directory with the -n option. Putting _all_ ruby gem
> scripts in /usr/bin is questionable, IMHO; however, since gem's
> default binary directory is /usr/bin and is unchanged in Arch, I will
> add the -n option. Not to mention, I see this is being done anyway in
> github-gem and this option is a much saner way of doing that.
>
> Thanks,
> matt

Yeah. I've noticed this redundant `mv' in several PKGBUILDs, hence the fix.
I did mention it, in teh patch :P