[arch-projects] [initscripts][netcfg] deprecating advanced network functionality from initscripts

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Apr 26 14:37:44 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>> I'd vote for #2, keeping old timers (and me) happy. It seems like the
>> right line to draw so that someone using a "normal" desktop computer
>> setup, a VM, a VPS, etc. over Ethernet doesn't need to suddenly dive
>> into netcfg. This would eliminate a lot of code still: wi_up,
>> bond_up/down, bridge_up/down.
>
> I'll vote for #2 as well.

Sounds like #2 it is then :-)

> Since this involves some amount of dramatic
> change, can I be annoying and harp on my iproute2 patchwork as well?
> Seems like it would be an appropriate time to merge, since we're
> breaking other things as well.

Yes, that would be great! May I suggest that we no longer allow "open
ended" configuration variables, but do something like this:

interface="eth0"
ip="192.168.0.10"
broadcast=""
netmask""
gateway=""

(removing the ones that are uncommon to change, and adding anything I forgot)

Only allow one interface, if ip is unset then use dhcp, and if the
other variables are unset use sensible standards. Parse the variables
for correctness to stop people from doing weird things.

Lastly, (which is where I started), we'd have to check that any
use-cases we kill is covered by something else.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :-)

Does anyone object to this plan?

Cheers!

-t