[arch-projects] Issue about shutdown hook in mkinitcpio/initscripts (/run is noexec)

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Aug 25 01:37:25 EDT 2011

On 08/24/2011 12:35 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am testing this for archiso (I think will help me for dm-snapshot
> persistent). I am writing custom shutdown hooks that fit for archiso.
> Anyway, /run is mounted as noexec. This should be changed ;)
>
> :: Creating shutdown ramfs...chroot: can't execute '/bin/busybox':
> Permission denied
>
> all rest of things will fail ;)
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2011-July/001549.html

Another thing is the last code about halt/poweroff/reboot.

# reboot / poweroff / halt, depending on the argument passed by init
# if something invalid is passed, we halt
case "$1" in
   reboot|poweroff|halt) "$1" -f ;;
   *) halt -f;;
esac

$1 is undefined here, so always go to halt -f. why not take decision
from $RUNLEVEL?, this variable is defined at this stage.

like in rc.shutdown:

if [[ $RUNLEVEL == 0 ]]; then
     poweroff -f
else
     reboot -f
fi

And we need to use poweroff and not halt, it just stop the system
without calling acpi_poweroff().

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1