[arch-projects] hwclock adjust file

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Jun 5 15:01:35 EDT 2011

Sorry, to reply to myself, but as always talking about my problems
makes it all clearer:

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> I don't really have a "real" solution to this problem. It seems
> hwclock is really, really messed up. That said, maybe I'm missing the
> point. I'll explain the way I see it, and you tell me if i got it all
> wrong.

Turns out I missed the point, and that things are actually fine they
way they are upstream. We should slightly change our initscripts
though, and move adjfile to /etc.

The point being, that we never need to write to adjfile on boot, but
we can read it, it will only be written to on shutdown. Furthermore,
--systohc/--set will only be called manually by the sysadmin when s/he
knows that it makes sense to calibrate the time and drift.

--systohc, if you know that your system has been running since the
last --set/--systohc this can be used to calculate the drift-rate.
--set, this is (obviously) used to set the real time, and to calculate
the drift-rate since the last --set/--systohc.

-t