[arch-projects] hostname regression

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:06:54 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Gaetan,
>
> I just thought of this possible solution: "hostname" does not really
> have to be in core, except for its use in initscripts (correct me if
> I'm wrong here), so it is ok to keep it in net-tools, and not install
> net-tools by default (assuming initscripts somehow can set the
> hostname on boot).
>
> If that's correct, we could just install the hostname from coreutil in
> some place that is not in PATH, such as /lib/initscripts/hostname
> (without installing the manpage), and keep the old hostname in
> net-tools.
>
> This is similar to what you suggested (putting it in /usr), except
> that it is a bit more clear: either you have hostname or you don't,
> you don't have different versions of it depending on what packages are
> installed.
>
> -t

Also, inetutils also could provide a hostname and even an ifconfig
binary. They are currently not included in the package as they are (or
were) provided by other packages.  See the list of utilities that we
could add in inetutils:

    --disable-tftp --disable-tftpd \
    --disable-ping --disable-ping6 \
    --disable-logger --disable-syslogd \
    --disable-inetd --disable-whois \
    --disable-uucpd --disable-hostname \
    --disable-ifconfig --disable-traceroute

I don't know how they compare to the other versions of these tools
provided by net-tools, coreutils, etc.  But they might be a good
alternative.

Eric