[arch-projects] [netcfg] Getting rid of wireless_tools

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 13:17:20 EDT 2011

On 2011/6/19 Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2011/6/19 Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think some drivers don't (didn't?) support switching modes if the
>>> interface is up, or something like that?
>>
>> So more precisely, the question is probably: is wpa_supplicant capable
>> of manipulating interfaces that are down, just like iwconfig?
>
> I have an iwl3945, so I could help with testing. However, I'd need
> someone to tell me what setups to test and what problems to look for.
>
> -t

I'm stupid since I have a iwl3945 myself. The test setup is the following:
- set up your card in a stupid mode (iwconfig wlan0 mode Monitor)
- try to start a netcfg profile without it using iwconfig.

I'll upload my latest changes to the no-iwconfig branch for you to
test. I've successfully managed to do it by moving the interface_up
part *after* starting+configuring wpa_supplicant, so it seems to
indicate that wpa_supplicant is able to switch modes itself. However
i'm not sure it works for any setup.

--
Rémy.