[arch-projects] [initscripts] Linux distributions and /run/

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Mar 31 08:21:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> Why symlinks? Why not bind mount /run to /var/run and /run/lock to
> /var/lock once / is available?

I thought symlinks would be easier to maintain in the long run, and it
is what the other distro's are planning to do (at least Fedora will in
F16 after bindmounting in F15). That said, I don't have strong
feelings about the pro's and con's of bindmounting v. symlinking. What
would be the benefit?

> Something else to think about: do we want to carry this back to the
> initcpio?

Ah, yes, we probably do (like what we do with /proc and /sys).

Cheers,

Tom