[arch-projects] [initscripts][udev][RFC] first step towards removing load-modules.sh

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue May 10 09:49:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> Important: for your patchwork to be effective, we need to alter the udev
> rules that reference load-modules.sh. If this isn't done for the
> initcpio, you will almost assuredly be dumped to a rescue shell.

Not sure I understand what you mean. When we remove load-modules.sh
from udev, we must of course also delete 80-drivers.rules and adjust
81-arch.rules. However, we do not need to remove load-modules.sh at
the same time as introducing this blacklisting magic. Right?

> Other than alteration of the rules, this should be an easy win in the
> initcpio, as we have a writeable filesystem from the start. And (correct
> me if im wrong), the only reason we ever need to write a blacklist file
> is if disablemodules= is specified on the kernel cmdline. /etc/rc.conf is
> verboten in early userspace because it uses arrays.

Sounds like it should be easy then (I have not looked at the code much
yet). Unless I am missing something (see above) we can do the
initscript/mkinitcpio independently and when both are in [core] start
patching udev.

Cheers,

Tom