[arch-projects] [udev][RFC][2/5] moving static nodes to udev-compat

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat May 14 20:21:44 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> At least loop0 should exists. Having /dev/loop0 make this command (mount
> pepito.img /mnt/pepito) works without loading before loop module. This is
> because loop.ko is autoloaded when something tries access to a loop device.

You are right. I just rebooted to check, loop0 is the only node that
we don't get for free. I therefore amend my suggestion to keep the
loop module, but move everything else to udev-compat.

FWIW: I also checked what others do (I picked fedora and opensuse for
no particular reason) and found that fedora have the static loop nodes
(and nothing else) and opensuse have no static nodes at all.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Tom