[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon May 16 17:17:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
> With timezone I have a more strong points:
>
> 1) System should use UTC.

Then you loose information. System time is already in UTC from the
kernel, /etc/localtime provide information about the current timezone
as well. I think people would find it surprising if we do something
non-standard here.

> 2) Daemons should use UTC (logger, cron, ...)

The daemons know both UTC and the current localtime, so they should
know themselves which one to use.

> 3) TZ should be set per user not system-wide.

I don't think it is a good idea to set the TZ as mentioned earlier,
but it could be used in special cases if you know what you are doing I
guess. Certainly not something to recommend as default though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Tom