[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon May 16 17:25:47 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 16 May 2011 20:28:17 +0200
schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:

> I think the TIMEZONE variable in rc.conf is unnecessary and it causes
> some problems with other (especially GUI) tools.

Since when is it unnecessary and why? And since when does it cause
problems with other tools and which problems does it cause? I never had
any issues with this, neither with KDE nor with Xfce.

And there are not only GUI tools but also CLI tools which also need a
correctly set timezone.

And what's wrong with the current way of setting a timezone? As far as
I know this is the standard way of setting a timezone on Linux, at
least Gentoo does it the same way since years.

That said it's obvious that there must be a way to set a system wide
timezone at boot time. The current method is, btw., much better, since
simpler and easier (KISS), than an /etc/rc.d/timezone method.

Heiko