[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon May 16 18:58:00 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 16 May 2011 19:29:57 -0300
schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>:

> Having logs in UTC avoid this. Is the task of the program that parses
> the log to show (if needed) the time in your current timezone.

And what if I parse the log with my own eyes without a software parser?
Then I also want to see the local time without calculating the
timezone by myself.

> I think in a desktop system, yes. But if you are "server", users
> wants your timezone (from where are conected) instead of local
> timezone of the server. Or I am missing something?

I guess you're missing something, because on servers the timezone
setting is only for the server and this is also located only at one
place at a time and the timezone data is used to set the server's
timestamps. The users' timezone is usually set at their clients which
connect to these servers.

If the server needs to store files from different countries it should
set the timezone to UTC anyway I guess.

Heiko