[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] managing /tmp

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed May 18 13:29:49 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> I can only think of 1 reason that would happen, and it's completely
> ridiculous: If you bind mount things into /tmp, then recursively
> deleting /tmp would nuke things on the mounts as well. I don't think
> there's a legitimate case for this though.
>
> rm does not follow symlinks, and my only other concern would be what
> happens when nullglob is set and the glob fails to expand-- but a quick
> test shows that not be a concern either.

Yes. I tried all these things, and it is (as far as I can tell) no way
to exploit this. So we don't need to take this into consideration.

The only reason to don't touch /tmp is that a) the less we do, the
better b) in 99.99% of all cases it will be a noop anyway c) in the
remaining cases there were some users who requested to be able to
control the behavior, so why not oblige them ;-) (but they'll have to
do it themselves in rc.local).

-t