[arch-projects] [HEADSUP] udevd moved out of PATH

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 08:44:54 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 05:51:56PM +1100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This is mostly (only?) relevant for mkinitcpio and initscripts, so I
>> did not cc arch-dev.
>>
>> /sbin/udevd will move to /lib/udev/udevd in udev-174. Since this is no
>> longer in PATH we need to patch mkinitcpio and initscripts to take
>> care of this and release them all together. I intended to do an
>> initsrcritps release next week (when I get back home), but now I'll
>> wait for udev-174 to be out.
>>
>> This should sort out mkinitcpio:
>> <https://github.com/teg/mkinitcpio/commit/bbb3ae45931e8fb9a8a68f2dcc6c49cb3b928521>.
>>

> That's half the solution -- as mentioned in the commit message, path_id
> and usb_id needs to be removed from install/udev as well.
>
> <rant> this seems like upstream is moving a binary for the sake of
> moving a binary. there's no rationale given in the commit message or the
> NEWS. grrrr. </rant>

This is really f***ing stupid of upstream. Why are they doing this
outside of simply wanting to break everything? I'm not a fan of this
as we are making upgrades way too fragile, not to mention moving what
is very clearly a *binary* into a non-binary path, which is totally
bogus. I know I've done `killall udevd && udevd --daemon` before to
get the new version running; sounds like this is not going to work at
all anymore.

I would honestly pester upstream and have them justify the color of
their hat this week; they seem obsessed with stupid incompatible
changes like this. -1 from me on this whole change, upstream decision
or not.

-Dan