[arch-projects] netcfg moving forward

Seblu seblu at seblu.net
Sat Apr 14 22:04:48 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Today netcfg 2.8.0 was made available in testing. This release comes
> with improved systemd support.
> Can we push 2.7.3 to the stable repositories?
>
> Since much has changed, a news item might be in place.

Current version of netcfg in core is 2.6.8.
Current version of netcfg in testing is 2.8.0

Remy implements NETWORKS in /etc/conf.d/netcfg after 2.6.8 and before 2.7.x [1]
You drop old configuration way in 2.8.0 [2]
1 month between 2.7.0. 2.7.0 never hit core.

Before broke compatibility with boot network configuration you should
(must?) deprecate the old way of configuring netcfg.

By deprecate, i mean to wrote a message during install / print a
message at boot when using old config (as tom do with initscripts).
Do something which let user time to reconfigure their system. This
version have to hit core before doing any removal.

Currently there is no core version with /etc/conf.d/netcfg
configuration allowing NETWORKS configuration. And testing version
remove it completly.
So, when testig package will hit core. You must update your network
config. If you miss it. No more network after reboot.
Think you broke network of people using netcfg. You will be hated.

I fully aggree with you on that we should drop NETWORDS from rc.conf,
but please not as a wild.
I think it's very important to be smooth with netcfg update. I don't
understand why you doesn't let at least 2 releases (hiting core)
before removing old configuration way!

[1] http://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/commit/?id=67106550f8a0255ae57a8a35a8ad62e47df07caf
[2] http://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/commit/?id=d20dd39fa08da3ef262c95ece5548c952c257bf7

--