[arch-projects] netcfg release rfc
j.witteveen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:28:43 EDT 2012
I have pushed the 2.8.2 tag for netcfg and I think we're in a pretty
good shape. If nothing too serious pops up in the next week or two, I
suggest moving it to [core].
Since much has changed, a news item is in order. Please help me write one.
---suggestion starts here------
netcfg 2.8.2 release
netcfg 2.8.2 has been moved to [core]. It has been six months since it
had an update, so it accumulated quite some changes. Here is a
- Configuration has moved out of 'rc.conf'. Please move your
configuration to '/etc/conf.d/netcfg'.
- Connection types ending in '-old', '-dbus' and '-iproute' are
discontinued. Remove the suffix if you still have it: you didn't need
- Systemd is now supported for single profile, multiple profile,
automatic wired and automatic wireless connections.
- For your basic wifi needs, you can now use the bundled 'wifi-menu'
tool. It is a dialog based connection aid inspired by wifi-select.
- Disconnecting an interface is no longer done through '-i'. The new
parameter is '-D'. Reconnecting an interface is possible through '-R'.
- There is a new connection type: PPPoE.
The full changelog is at
---suggestion ends here------
In addition, the wiki is in need of updating. Please help out on this
one (if you're no programmer, this is your chance to do something). In
particular, we need to remove all rc.conf references and detail
systemd usage (and possibly the NET= kernel syntax that is not
documented well). Besides that I don't like the references to newlan
(it sucks) and the references to wifi-select should make note of the
existence of wifi-menu.
More information about the arch-projects