[arch-projects] [netcfg] Fix passphrase dialog in wifi-menu

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 9 11:42:16 EDT 2012

Am 09.08.2012 17:27, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I didn't actually test this, but it adds support for hex psk in wifi-menu,
>> which has been forgotten, as usual.
>>

> Why would you want to enter your password in hex?! A WEP password
> already is within the allowed length range, if you want an obscured
> password, use the obscure parameter of wifi-menu.

Because the WPA standard says you can do it: It allows for entering a 32
Byte hex key directly (btw, this works on every divce I tried so far,
including Windows, OS X, my cheap Sony Ericsson phone with proprietary
firmware, the Amazon Kindle, ...).

When you have a raw hex key, there is no way to determine the passphrase
- it is not even clear that a passphrase exists that results in this key.

For instance, on my home wireless network, there is no way to connect
other than entering the hex key - there is no 8-63 passphrase that would
allow you to connect.