[arch-projects] [netcfg] Call for testers: netctl

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 07:49:09 EST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Curtis Shimamoto
<sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems pretty neat.  So far almost all functions seem to work. Though I
> have come across an issue with netctl-auto.

Cool, can you share what you have tested?

> I cannot seem to store a profile.  I use
> # netctl store [PROFILE]
> and the result is simply the help/usage.  I checked with "list" and still
> not active (no *).

That is because, as the help should tell you, 'store' does not take
arguments ;-). Did you mean 'enable'?

> Ergo, starting netctl-auto with:
> # netctl-auto start wlan0
> has no action.

This is unrelated to `netctl store`. As netctl-auto is inevitably a
different beast by design, it indeed does not really bring profiles
up, but rather configures the network according to them. This may
sound strange, but it really is what is going on. For example: you can
enable the netctl-auto service in systemd, which will run
independently of other netctl@<profiles> and also not start/stop any
of them.

Regards,
- Jouke