[arch-projects] [initscripts] [GIT] Arch Linux initscripts repository annotated tag 2012.01.3 created. 2012.01.3

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jan 19 10:09:17 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Who cares? :)

You'd be surprised... ;-)

>> 2012.1.3 would fix nilfs as well as make it possible to move udev-177
>> to core (due to removing UDEV_TIMEOUT support which is causing
>> problems).
>
> Read https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/20764. Back then, the patch was
> added to make people shut up about hangs at boot. In such cases, why not
> let people break their own systems?

There are a few ways people can still fix apparent hangs on boot:

* grab a coffee and wait for 120 seconds

* report the problem with the broken kernel driver upstream to get it
fixed properly

* submit a patch to udev upstream to support a "settle timeout"
setting in /etc/udev/udev.conf (preferably in such a way that it works
well with the other timeouts in udev, afaik there are different
timeouts that kick in at 30, 60, 120 and 180).

* edit /etc/rc.d/functions manually and add "--timeout=30"

The issue is now that if we keep UDEV_TIMEOUT=30 as it is now it will
break lots of wireless drivers. This could probably be fixed as easily
as increasing the default to 40, but that will only work until some
other assumption is changed in udev. This kind of thing belongs in
udev, not in initscripts.

-t