[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] cryptsetup: deprecate old syntax and default to the systemd one

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Jul 28 13:09:33 EDT 2012

Am Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:51:55 +0200
schrieb Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com>:

> size= is key size, NOT keyfile size.
>
> It seems systemd's crypttab currently has no means of specifying
> keyfile size, so it will always try to read the maximum (up to 8MB
> according to cryptsetup --help).

And what is the difference between the keyfile size and the key size?

The keyfile is the key. Btw., there's no file on the USB stick. The USB
stick is just filled with random characters, which have to be read raw
by dd. So the keyfile size is the same as the key size, and dd has to
know how many bytes it has to read.

Like I said, look at do_unlock_legacy() in /etc/rc.d/functions.

Heiko