[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] cryptsetup: deprecate old syntax and default to the systemd one

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Jul 28 14:58:05 EDT 2012

Am Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:44:01 +0200
schrieb Christoph Vigano <mail at cvigano.de>:

> According to crypttab(5):
> "size=
> Specifies the key size in bits; see cryptsetup(8) for possible values
> and the default value of this option."
>
> As it is custom in cryptography, key sizes are given in bits, like RSA
> 4096 which means the key is 512 bytes long.
>
> If your former size argument was given in bytes, convert that number
> to bits and try again.

Btw., I read over it, you mentioned man cryptsetup. I guess you're
mixing up two different things. The cryptsetup parameter size is
something completely different and has nothing to do with the key size
and with this issue.

We're talking here about the key size, that is how many bits or bytes
have to be read raw from an USB stick. So we're talking here about the
dd parameters skip and count.

Heiko