[arch-projects] (no subject)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 12 10:00:36 EDT 2012

Am 12.03.2012 14:39, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:20:10 +0100
>> Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>>
>>> The reason for these symlinks is to avoid issues with people not merging
>>> inittab.pacnew.
>>
>> why not let natural selection do its work?
>
> Because I would be the first to succumb to this ;-)
>
> On a serious note: Ignoring .pacsave files from initscripts should
> never break your boot.

In the past, we once adjusted inittab using 'sed'. People protested, but
it was important.

if [ "$(vercmp $2 2009.07)" -lt 0 ]; then
  echo "==> Adjusting /etc/inittab for transition to /dev/tty standard."
  echo "==> Original file saved as /etc/inittab.pacsave"
  sed -i'.pacsave' 's#vc/\([0-9]\)#tty\1#' /etc/inittab
fi

We needed to do this when we removed some old devfs-compat device nodes
that had been there way too long. This can be done safely.