[arch-projects] [RFC 08/23] Check for udevd to avoid waiting for devices

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri May 18 18:20:03 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:

> Without udevd, it is unlikely that new devices are going to show up. So
> we will know not to wait for them.
>
> Suggested-by: Dave Reisner <dreisner at archlinux.org>

NACK.

I'm probably missing the point here (as I was a bit suspicious about
waiting for devices in the first place), but I don't think this makes
sense.

Two cases where a missing udev means you won't get more devices:

1) If you reference them by symlinks in /dev/disks/by-*

2) If the required module is not built in to the kernel and udev is
needed for modprobing it.

However, you might very well have built your usb-drivers into the
kernel, referenced them as /dev/sdc1 (or whatever) and need to wait
for them to appear. Remember that udev no longer populates /dev with
devicenodes as this is done by the kernel.

Am I missing something?

-t