[arch-projects] [mkinitcpio] Build image into the kernel?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Aug 27 18:39:20 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I was playing around with the kernel cpio image creation, and was
wanting to add an already-built cpio image to an already-built kernel
image.

Instead of writing yet-another-script to do this type of thing, I
noticed that mkinitcpio's documentation said that it supported this:

	Support for the inclusion of the initial ramdisk image in a
	kernel, thus making a self-contained kernel image possible.

But, I couldn't find this option anywhere in the tool.

Am I missing something here?

Or, is the format of the cpio image that is created, suitable for
including in the kernel build process itself (through the kernel config
option), what you are referring to with this line?  If so, that requires
a three-step process:
	- build the kernel and modules
	- build the cpio image
	- rebuild the kernel with the new cpio image specified

thanks,

greg k-h