[arch-projects] [netctl][HEADSUP] systemd-networkd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Dec 1 13:20:25 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 04:38 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Hi guys, and Jouke in particular,
>>
>> In case any netctl developers have not yet seen/heard about networkd,
>> I thought I'd give you a heads-up about it.
>>
>> networkd is an (at the moment) very basic network solution for
>> statically configured networks, and probably shares some usecases with
>> netctl. It will ship with systemd v209.
>>
>> I wrote a bit about the background/status on G+:
>> https://plus.google.com/+TomGundersen/posts/bDQCP5ZyQ3h (there are a
>> few more posts with more details). If any of you have any feedback, or
>> would like to contribute, let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Hello Tom
>
> Thanks for the very good :)
>

> Is there any intention to supoort, in a future, the IP= kernel command
> line parameter? This is used for PXE in initramfs stage.

We definitely want to support networking in the initramfs. I must
admit I don't know much about PXE, but the ip= syntax, seems like a
natural thing to support (similarly to how we support other kernel
parameters like root=, etc).

I suppose we could simply ship a generator in our initramfs which
would parse the kernel commandline and write out an
/run/systemd/network/00-cmdline.network. This would likely also
support more advanced stuff than the ip= parameter as it is needed by
stuff like dracut (so Harald is interested in that).

Note that we don't yet support all the features ip= need, in
particular we don't do anything about dns yet.

Cheers,

Tom