[arch-projects] [netctl] Time to move

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 5 11:34:52 EST 2013

Am 05.02.2013 17:29, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
> But it is called netctl, and not netd. Applications usually name their
>> /etc/ folder after themselves, that's why I suggest /etc/netctl/
>
> But systemctl interfaces /etc/systemd and not /etc/systemctl.

Actually, systemctl only interfaces with systemd via dbus calls and
never even touched /etc/systemd/.

> We should go with either /etc/network or /etc/netctl. It's your call
> Thomas, I'm fine with either.

Actually, it's you call - but in my opinion, /etc/network is a very
generic name which may be used by something else in the future.

>> You could omit all [Install] data and create the symlinks yourself.
>>

> Yes, I will. At first I thought it would be good to use [install],
> since it allows systemd to alter its logic, but than I saw the
> systemctl error message when the [install] section is missing and that
> more or less suggests netctl should place its symlinks itself.

We could have a feature request to systemd for a configuration like this:

[Install]
Message=Please use netctl(1) to activate this unit.