[arch-projects] [initscripts] So it's gone

Ivailo xakepa10 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:50:09 EST 2013

Sorry about the link, that would be because of my touchpad changing the
cursor position when I hover my hand over it while typing, it's very
sensitive and a bit weird.

> It was not easy to follow your FAQ ..
That would be my fault, English is not my native language but there is the
fact that the Wiki is not complete. In fact it is just a temporary solution
until the main website up and operational and the only reason to have it is
that I can add/remove/change content platform independent. I used to keep
some files on my main PC but after a disk failure[1] and no backup files to
restore from I'm not taking the chance again.

The approach I choosed, to avoid systemd, is because some software doesn't
work (e.g. dbus, networkmanager) even if systemd is present on the system.
Check the topics like the one about  OpenRC on Arch[2] and more specificly
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1192933#p1192933 and you will
see what I'm talking about so it's not just initscripts that need to be
systemd compatible. And to ensure that everything is smooth I had to
maintain a lot of packages, and preferable not linked against systemd so if
the package relies on a systemd library I can use ldd to check binaries and
find which one I have to work on to make my job easier.

And about the tmpfiles implementation I think Debian has their own[3] [4]
which can be adopted and used within the initscripts.

About the manual pages. It appears that you are shipping the logoutd man
pages, you are removing the login.1, that's the closest one. And the binary
ofcourse. But go list[5] the package and see what you will find. Anyway,
the point in my expression on the Wiki is that manual pages should be
provided from the software package itself, not the man-pages[6] package
which contains reference to /usr/local and such which is not true and is
some people say that wrong documentation is worst than none.

[1]
http://lsd-linux.forums.gs/t15-new-beta-live-cd-iso-is-ready-for-testing-lsd_x86_64-26_01_2013
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152606
[3] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.sysvinit/4210