[arch-projects] [netcfg] netcfg/netctl

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:55:03 EST 2013

Hello arch developers!

I looked at netcfg code and functionality and I think that this
can be usefull replacement for NetworkManager. Interface for
writing new modules is simple and I think it can be usefull on
other linux distributions.

Now I found that there is netctl fork which is like new
generation of netcfg. From info in readme I see that now it
depends on systemd, which is very controverse init daemon and not
all linux distributions and user using it... I'm not using arch,
but I'd like to use netcfg/netctl.

My current situation is that I need to connect to ethernet with
802.1X authentification (high priority!) and then try connection
without 802.1X (normal dhcp - low priority). And seems that
netcfg is only one tool which done it successfully.

Is archlinux going to participate to Google Summer of Code 2013?
If yes I'd like to extend netcfg/netctl project. What do you
think, it is possible? Is there some future plan or TODO?

My imagination is that network tool can auto configure (without
user interact) any network adapter based on information from
config files (profiles). Also network tool should support any
possible wireless configuration (which support for example
wpa_supplicant), but have configuration in one file (not one for
supplicant, one for ip/dhcp and one for static dns). I think that
hostapd support can be also usefull or full automatic ipv6
configuration (use stateless dns, read M/O bits from RA and use
dhcpv6 when needed).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com