[arch-projects] [netcfg] [netctl] migration path

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:44:25 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - perhaps change the PKGBUILD to contain replaces=netcfg
>
> Does it? I mean: 1) could netcfg and netctl live side-by-side; and 2)
> is netctl backwards compatible with netcfg?

@1) yes, but they should not be installed simultaniously as they use
the same folder for their profiles, but the profiles are not
interchangeable unless you define all variables twice.
@2) no.

>> - write an announcement and an installation message
>> - move the package to [core]
>
> I think putting it in [extra] for a few releases would be more
> appropriate so we can see how it all shakes out.

Thats okay, but I don't plan on maintaining two similar projects of
which I think one is a dead end. I think it is a good thing Arch has
the essentials of a profile-based network configuration out of the
box. Keep in mind that openresolv needs to move to [core] if netctl
ends up over there. As said before, netctl + openresolv is still less
lines of code than netcfg.

- Jouke