[arch-projects] [netcfg] Call for testers: netctl

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 18:32:45 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 01.02.2013 00:25, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> I took a quick glance at the code a minute ago and I am confused. I was
>> wondering how you solved the problem of systemd starting the network
>> services before the devices appear.
>>
>> And as it turned out, it doesn't! When you activate
>> netctl at PROFILE.service, the netctl profile will often activate before
>> the needed network devices appear. That is precisely the problem I
>> addressed by my generator-based solution in my latest netcfg patches.

It does. Use `netctl enable PROFILE` and you're all set.

>> Apart from reduced code size (which is good), this is no improvement
>> over netcfg.
>
> Furthermore, every profile requires an interface name. For generic ppp
> or 3g profiles, for example, there is no interface name prior to
> establishing a connection - how do you plan to implement such profiles?

When such names are really unknown a priori, you might need something
different than netctl. Compared to netcfg, netctl tries to be simple
and reasonably good at what it does. It no longer makes coffee, but
when you want to connect to a network via a network interface, it is
there for you.

- Jouke