[arch-projects] [netctl] Regarding commit fe5f0d6fe - "Restrict dhcpcd to IPv4"

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 16 04:55:29 EDT 2013

Am 16.06.2013 10:35, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
>> What this doesn't mention is that it also reads DNS servers from Router
>> Advertisements, which the kernel cannot do by itself. dhcpcd does not
>> perform dhcpv6 as far as I know.
>
> I'm not sure; it might do so nowadays. Does dhclient read DNS servers
> from RAs in IPv4 mode?

I haven't check what dhclient does, but dhcpcd is definitely not a
dhcpv6 client.

>> IMO, we should remove the -4 flag from dhcpcd if IP6=stateless is set.
>
> The flag was added because in most situations leaving it out causes a
> timeout in acquiring an IPv6 lease.
>
> My initial thoughts:
> : If dhclient doesn't extract the addresses from RAs in IPv6 mode, we
> shouldn't expect dhcpcd to do so
> : If dhclient does, this might be a bug in dhcpcd

dhclient != dhcpcd. dhclient has a complete dhcpv6 implementation,
including prefix delegation, while dhcpcd is only a dhcp and ipv6 router
solicitation client.

My problem here is that the kernel cannot handle the extended
information in RAs, like DNS. We need a client to do so and dhcpcd is
the only one I know.