[arch-projects] [netctl] News draft

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:44:27 EDT 2013

I have tagged version 0.8 of netctl and based on Florians usual
response times, it will hit [testing] soon.

If no major bugs pop up in the coming week (or two), I would like this
to be the first version to make it to [core]. Steps needed:
1. move openresolv to [core]
2. write a news item

How about the following for step 2?
---netctl is now in [core]---
Meet netctl: a profile based networking CLI using systemd.
In the near future, the old netcfg will be removed from [core]. Anyone
using it is urged to move to netctl. Migration is a manual process
during which you might not have access to the Internet, so take care
and read the man pages (netctl(1), netctl.profile(5) and
netctl.special(7)).

The design of netctl is so that systemd enthusiasts will appreciate
its usage and netcfg users will be familiar with its profile files.

As you install netctl, netcfg will be removed, but the enabled systemd
services will remain until manually disabled. The [wiki:netctl wiki]
holds some additional information on migrating from netcfg.
------

I do not intend to do any more work on netcfg. If anyone wants to take
over, it could be moved to [extra] or [community], but otherwise I
think one networking CLI of this kind is enough and we can drop netcfg
altogether. Note that netctl is not as Arch specific as netcfg was.
Gentoo already has a netctl ebuild.

Regards,
- Jouke