[arch-projects] [netctl] Suggestion: support for ppp and mobile broadband

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 10:36:02 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I only discovered netctl today, and from what I’ve read in the wiki,
> mailing lists, and the code, it sounds like a really interesting project.
> Kudos to all the devs behind it!
>
> One feature I’m certainly after (and would be definitely willing to
> write/port/test) is support for mobile broadband connections using pppd.
> netcfg has basic support for this, and I hacked together some scripts and
> profiles based on information in the wiki and elsewhere that would establish
> a connection to a USB modem. I put the scripts up on the AUR[1], if anyone
> is interested.
>
> Lately I’ve been exploring systemd’s possibilities[2] and have been trying
> to encourage it, netcfg, and pppd to cooperate a little better[3]. If some
> of those ideas could be incorporated into netctl, that would be brilliant.
>
> As I mentioned above, I’m willing to write or port (and document) the
> necessary code, though I’m not particularly sure where to start, be it
> writing it or making it conform to Arch standards. I’ve used Linux for
> years, but I’m new to contributing as I’m more of a user than a programmer.

The code of netctl is hosted at http://projects.archlinux.org/netctl.git/
Under src/lib/connections, you'll find the current connection types,
along with a README on developing new ones.
If you come up with a reasonable new connection type, I am more than
happy to add it. Please also update the netctl.profile manpage
accordingly.

> Robbie
>

> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netcfg-ppp-mobile-git/
> [2] https://github.com/zoqaeski/systemd-user-units